LAHORE: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on Friday filed its reference before an accountability court in a 34-year-old land allotment case against Jang group editor-in-chief Mir Shakilur Rehman, former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and two others.
The reference filed under section 18 (g) read with section 24 (b) of the National Accountability Ordinance 1999 accused Rehman of illegally obtaining exemption of 54 plots each measuring one-kanal situated in Block-H, Johar Town.
Other two suspects are Lahore Development Authority (LDA) former director general Humayon Faiz Rasool and land development department’s former director Mian Bashir Ahmad.
The reference said the land allotment had been in connivance with then chief minister Nawaz Sharif against the exemption policy and the laws for monitory gains.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
It said the suspects caused a loss of Rs143.53 million to the national exchequer through allotment of the land in violation of exemption policy.
It said the evidence collected during the investigation proved that it is just and proper to proceed against the suspects and they be tried by the court and punished under the law.
In this case, the NAB had arrested Rehman while Mr Sharif had been declared absconded for his continuous non-appearance before the investigation team. Mr Sharif is in London for treatment following a permission given by courts.
The other two suspects, the LDA officials, were not arrested by the NAB, but interrogated only.
Mr Rehman is now in jail on judicial remand while his bail petition is pending before the Lahore High Court.